Sunday, February 18, 2007

Rabindranath Tagore

Here's a second thing from him (Aunty Barbara sent over the first one)

Liz Kirby sent this over, it is an extract from a letter that Rabindranath Tagore wrote to his young wife..


  • In everyone's life major crises occur, in which the utmost patience and self-control are required. We then realise how silly we are to complain of trivial, daily annoyances, petty aches and pains.
  • I shall love, and I shall do my best, and I shall do my duty by others cheerfully - if we follow this principle, we can cope with anything.
  • Life does not last long, and its pleasures and travails are also constantly changing. Wounds, setbacks, deceptions - it's hard to bear them lightly; but if we don't, the burden of life gradually becomes insufferable and it becomes impossible to fix one's mind on any goal or idea. If we fail, if we live in dissatisfaction and tension day after day, in constant conflict with our circumstances, then our lives become completely futile.
  • Great calm, generous detachment, selfless love, disinterested effort: these are what make for success in life. If you can find peace in yourself and can spread comfort around, you will be happier than an empress.

He says a lot about how I try to live my life, and even now, facing a "major crisis" I aim to keep cheerful and shake off the dissatisfactions that life offers in order to enjoy what we do have, here together, while we have it.

I can't claim to be a particularly good yogi, really, but this sort of thing is my goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,

What, no comments? That's odd because you make some good points here.

It must be great to have so many resources to draw on. And I feel happy for you.

Funnily enough I was planning to send a comment to this blog just before your two new entries. Those were wise words from Parmahansa Yogananda, maybe nobody could think of anything wiser to add?

I agree that it is a worthy aim to be as generous in our outlook as possible, forgive people for not being perfect and generally not worry about stuff we can't alter. It isn't easy, but from my own experience I'd agree that a lot of life's tensions evaporate the less you let things bother you. I have chilled out a lot in recent years, and it feels good. Pleased to know you are managing to do so too.

So far as worrying about our own mortality, well we are all 'Dead Men Walking'. That's just how it is. No point flapping about it. However, your time is not yet.

lots of love to you and Brigid

x x x

suze said...

hi Mark

thanks for commenting .. I love you so much
xx

Anonymous said...

Nice to see this up...... I liked it cos it has a v human, and caring tone to it. RT has written some cracking poetry and short stories you know! Plus novels which I havent read. I think he seems like a v humane man, esp for his time.
I am so glad to read that you do still feel very suported and loved my dears. Cos you are!
Lx