Sunday, February 25, 2007

Wild Nights

My lovely brother just reminded me of this poem, by Emily Dickinson, which has this strong metaphor of being safely moored with the one you love ...
and being done with the sailing ..
so when my sailing through the chemo is done, we will be in Eden.

I sort of think this poem was part of the impetus for how B and I changed our names when we first got together and I still like it ...


Wild Nights – Wild Nights!
Were I with thee
Wild Nights should be
Our luxury!

Futile – the Winds –
To a heart in port –
Done with the Compass –
Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden –
Ah, the Sea!
Might I but moor – Tonight –
In thee!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this Blog a lot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Suze, it's really helped me just now.
love you so much
mand x x x

suze said...

aye up stranger - -didn't expect to find you in here!

I love you soooo much too!
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Suze, it's mand's jen...love the site and especially this poem. I'll carry it round with me
lots of love
xxxxx

suze said...

hi hen - only just seen this post from you --

yes, this is a good poem for someone who's partner is a sea-going chap...

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...

Ah,the poem! We studied it in one of our lessons... probably around 1992? I remember it well because it was tucked away in the corner of a worksheet with some other poems, in your handwriting, and I just loved it. I went out to buy some of Dickinson's poetry after that and became a big fan. See what a star you are? x