Sunday, November 19, 2006

Where There is Light

I'm going to post some quotations from Paramahansa Yogananda's book "Where There Is Light" which is a collection of short texts mostly derived from his longer books.

The first one is from the section called Rising Above Suffering.
  • You heighten suffering by imagination. Worrying or feeling sorry for yourself won't heal your pain, but rather increase it. For instance, someone wrongs you, you dwell on it, and your friends talk about it and sympathise with you. The more you think about it the more you magnify your hurt and your suffering.

I agree with this. It is one reason why I don't like to tell ppl when things have been bad, cos it sort of repeats the whole thing - allows it more head-space and gives it more power.

Yesterday I felt myself slipping into self-pity, I kept thinking about where I was sore. Trying to take my mind off it and do something else really did reduce the pain and re-reading this book has helped me to build my mental strength.

I also started worrying about what the radiation is doing to my insides and what the long-term effects of it might be. I think this quotation helps me to stop doing that. Imagination is a pointless thing in this situation. This is one reason why I don't read many of the pages about cancer and stuff, cos it puts ideas into my head about how bad things might be, which I am better off not thinking about.

This also applies to fear of death .. I hope my friends and relatives can restrict their imaginations. Don't waste time imagining grieving for me, when, let's face it, I'm still here!! Save it for the funeral.

I loved it when Julie sent me a postcard of Pink's album, cos the title is "I'm not dead" -- which I'm not ...

There is no sense in worrying about my demise any more than there is in worrying about anyone's. We're all mortal, we'll all die. Are we going to use our imaginations to worry about that or just get on with the day to day of what we have?

Enjoy every minute for itself.

The sun is shining.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ye just think of all the beautiful things we see daily. the birds and geese on yesterdays pictures took my mind back to Westport lake and all the beauty there all in a built up area, we spent hours just watching the ducks and swans with their little antics.the trees at the moment are so wonderful the colours of the falling leaves along the duel carage ways are sight to wonder at, some one said to me yesterday why do they keep planting so many treesthey are a nusience i nearly blew my top dont they realize the important job trees do if only the purification of the air we breathe and the home for birds gosh some people dont know beauty when its in front of them.bye L M run out of spacexxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
Pauline (cousin) here.
Not long back from weekend away. Just looked in 'Little Treasury of Leaflets' old prayerbook. here it goes:

CONFIDENCE

O joy of simply resting
In arms that cannot fail,
When manliest faces pale!
O joy of realizing
The grace of every cross,
The worth of every trial,
The gain of every loss!

I trust Thee, O my Jesus,
As Thou dost trust to me
Thy whole most Blessed Godhead
Thy pure Humanity;
When in the Sacred Banquet
I taste that snow-white Host,
And vie with Thee, my Saviour,
Which of us shall love most!

(I won't send other 11 verses, just a sample).

Hope you had a good day.
Love. Pauline x

suze said...

hi Little Mummy

that is a great comment, so true, especialy about the trees not being a NUISANCE!

I love to enjoy the basic pleasure that nature gives us, and even here in the city there are so many lakes to choose from, like you say Westport, and my beloved Trentham and Tittesworth, but also Knypersly, and the water at Hanley Forest Park are very close to my house. Of course you are very near the sea now, I'm not surprised you and dad get down to Weymouth most days, I'm sure I would too. It'll be great when you get your van in Lyme!

suze said...

@ Cousin Pauline -- thanks for that. It's not a kind of style I am familiar with, but I appreciate the underlying ideas.

Anonymous said...

Suzi just wrote a great long blog on the other one then no letters were thereso I was right miffed.Not long to go now for the end of your treatment R Theraphy
six weeks have soon gone by,I bet you didnt thnk so when you were having to get to the hospital so early every day.
Will look to see if my long blog is still there and if it is I will get Dad to cut and paste it. Bye for now love to all three of you L M xxxxxxx

suze said...

So
The wisdom of this is illustrated by the fact that I defeated the odds and I am still not dead yet.
Yay.