Monday, November 06, 2006

hope

B and I got cards from an old friend, Paul, last week.

He had copied out a bit of an Emily Dickinson poem for me, which I thought was very sweet. He perhaps wouldn't know that Emily Dickinson was one of my favourite poets for ages, and I got my best ever essay comments as uni for an essay I wrote on her.

I think the whole poem is worth a thought:

  • "Hope" is the thing with feathers
  • That perches in the soul
  • And sings the tune without the words
  • And never stops at all,
  • And sweetest in the gale is heard;
  • And sore must be the storm
  • That could abash the little bird
  • That kept so many warm.

  • I've heard it in the chillest land
  • And on the strangest sea,
  • Yet never, in extremity,
  • It asked a crumb of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes a brill., poem. Keep them flowing!
Cousin Pauline.