Monday, October 09, 2006

Runes


Some of you will know that Liz (aka Nurse Connie) is a pagan (edit - no she's not, she's a heathen!) and has made a study of runes and their meanings. B and I were very pleased when she gave us these two beautiful stones that she has crafted along with this explanation of what they mean ..


I need to write you some more stuff about your runes stones.

The stones are carved with a 'bind rune' which means that several runes are joined together to create a particular energy.... in this case the rune is 'thorn' doubled up.


I journied and questioned for a long time before I made the stones..... this rune just seemed to keep coming into my mind.

It is commonly said to represent 'a giant' - or the archetypal giant, Thor. Thor is an ancient thunder god. His mother is Erd, or 'the earth' and he represents the raw power of nature. The symbol that is most connected with Thor is the hammer, with which he strikes thunder out of the clouds, and kills unruly giants. Striking Thor's hammer on the ground is said to create an instant sacred and safe space, as though power explodes out in a ripple and cleanses the space.

Thor is a simple and earthy power among the gods. Where Odin was more connected with the warriors and aristoractic class, Thor was the god of the peasants and there is a very prevelent tradition that if he is called he always comes, and comes immediately. Waving his great hammer and ready to flatten anything unwanted! Thor may be a bit simple but he is completly reliable and straightforward.

The rune thorn is often used as a powerful and active form of protection - repelling anything hostile with the power of a decending hammer. It is used to turn back curses and to summon instant help and support. It is also connected with the breaking down of barriers, with moments of breakthrough and revelation that burst like lightening.

And so I hope you can see what I was calling for you both, when I carved, coloured and sang these rune stones.


  • protection,
  • breakthrough,
  • safety,
  • a champion who can be called instantly and will not fail!


I made both stones together, working a little on one, and then on the other. And I sang them together. So they are really strongly linked as you and Brigid are linked. I would wish them to work as a channel for all the love and support I want to be able to give you both. If you have a moment when you really need to call on that raw strength you might just hold the stone tightly in your hand/s. That is all you need to do.

I find this very moving and appreciate the meditation, time and thought that Liz has poured onto B and me in making these runes for us.

We've looked at runes together many times, us three, and the set B and I actually use were given to us, by Liz several years ago. We have often used them as a focus for discussing whatever issues or problems we are facing at different times in our lives.

When I was given my cancer diagnosis it was natural for me to take up the bag of runes and simply asking "what is this about" I pulled (or drew) a rune from the bag.. What follows is Liz's interpretation of the rune I drew...

  • The rune that you drew from your own rune set was Mannaz, or Man ......It represents the self, the person standing in their own strength. It has all the connotations of personal integrity and growth, and it calls on ideas of individual responsiblity and courage. I think you read this experience of coping with cancer in this light - as a trial that is calling out very deep and profound spiritual qualities in you.. The rune is related to those very ideas.

I'll start a new post to write more on this rune for myself

No comments: